Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Hindes' Happenings

I think I have written 4 different blog posts, but none ever seemed to make it to the "click to" post stage.  I think that just maybe photos may do this post more justice here.  Hindes' Homestead is still alive, but whew it's been a crazy couple of weeks!

So I was gifted 6, 7mo. chickens for Mother's Day.  What could be better than increasing your flock on Mother's Day?


As promised here is the egg laying song:





I thought I carefully checked these new chickens for parasites, but 4 days later I discovered they had lice. ALWAYS check their vents....or results can be disastrous.


Please note how pleased I am.  I am trying to keep the chickens organic so first a bath in DE.  Then Nustock ointment is drizzled on the feather shafts with eggs.  Lastly, a thorough cleaning of the coop and a good spraying of Neemoil.  The jury is still out if we are cured, but I am so glad the lice are species specific. Egg production is increasing and I am hoping for the best.

With said chickens come crazy amounts of flies.  I am sick and tired of swatting them so here's my review should you need an option.


This fly trap, from Walmart, is totally worthless.  The only thing it has caught is my 7 year old and I had to pry his curious little hands off of it.  Not a single fly in our home, 3 currently, landed near or on it.


This fly trap on the back porch is totally worth it.  I purchased it from the Natural Gardener and that is 1 day worth of flies it has caught in it.  Love love love this product.  Sorry if I grossed anyone out!


We've kicked off yet another diet. Here is a stir-fry from our new Autoimmune Paleo Diet.  It has actually improved Craig's symptoms so yay!!


I've bought many odd products and am soon venturing to an Asian market to locate a couple other hard to find items for this crazy diet...I mean lifestyle.


I am not sure this photo shows the evidence, but this is what happens when you go off trail on a nature hike. Lil' guy is covered in head to toe poison ivy. He's a trooper though and recovering nicely.



Very little has changed in the world of roller skating, with the exception of the rolling walker.  I love how homeschooling has created a deeper bond in my children!


We've started harvesting cucumber and squash from our garden and they are yummy!



Last but not least we are wrapping up our school year and boy oh boy is it nice to complete another year of math!:) This is something Cole is earning tomorrow!

There's a quick rundown of our immensely blessed life...learning opportunities, life, and love all rolled up into one big beautiful mess!

Faithfully,

Betsy


1 comment:

  1. I almost spit out my drink, sorry about the lice:(
    I want to know more about the fly traps. We have flies so bad right now and I am going nuts trying to keep up with them

    ReplyDelete