Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Facebook Fast

I know most of you are on here since I am fasting from Facebook.  Let me just this fast is wayyyy sacrificial for me.  Lame I know, but sacrificial none the less.

Here's how it all transpired.... So in true form we discuss, at the Hindes School of Learning, cultural norms and religious holidays to see where they hit our biblical worldview.  We talked about the Lenten season and why fasting is typical.  A challenge arose and before the kids could formulate their fasts they challegened me to give up Facebook. Please insert guilt and shame as their mom and teacher. With inserted shame came pride that ....oh yea....I can totally go without facebook.

Day one 1 I find myself on autopilot clicking the facebook app on my phone.  So upon clicking I heard the voice of the evil one, although not willing to hush him, trick me that just looking and not posting is not really cheating.  By day 5 I am a pro at "just creeping" on Facebook.  Now on Day 6 we had a fatal flaw for the fast. By this I mean fatal only because the Facebook world caught me in my web of deception. So my smart phone is super amazing but oh so touchy. As I am scrolling down, just creeping away on Facebook, I somehow Hoover over the like button on someone's status and inadvertently click like. What do I do? Besides freaking out, I quickly unlike the liked status and close down Facebook. Isn't it funny how really my fast was over day 1,but day 6 is what it took for me to realize the flaw in my appearance based fast?

Day 8 was interesting, I realized that I could somewhat cheat the system by tweeting.  It's not nearly as fulfilling as Facebook, but let me continue to think in Facebook status form!:) So I have what maybe 2 weeks left and realized how horribly wrong I failed at it but also realized how much I need a savior to pick up the pieces of flawed me. What a gracious God I have that loves me despite my lack of ability. Surely if HE can be patient with me so can I with my kids when they fail to meet the mark.  That's it that's my rambling non Facebook status status. Praying each of you prepare your heart as you remember what HIS death and resurrection season is all about...a perfect savior coming to bridge our imperfect lives offering nothing but a free gift of eternal perfect "gracebook" living!

No comments:

Post a Comment